Machu Picchu by Train - 1 Day
Our special service of a one day train trip to Machu Picchu takes you on one of the most wonderful train journeys of your lifetime
On our one day Machu Picchu tour by train, you will follow the Urubamba River downstream on a lovely train ride all the way to the cloud forest which surrounds Machu Picchu. Here you will enjoy the unparalleled landscape of the Peruvian Andes throughout the course of your journey. Upon arrival to the town of Aguas Calientes, you will embark of the magnificent trip up to Machu Picchu where you will have your guided tour of the archeological site.
1 Day: Machu Picchu by Train
You will leave Cusco early in the morning (around 3am) for a trip to the village of Ollantaytambo which is located in the Sacred Valley. This is where you will catch the train to Aguas Calientes. The train journey itself is filled with stunning views and will take just under 2 hours. You will then bus up to Machu Picchu where you will be given a guided tour of the site and learn about the Inca civilization, visiting all of the highlights of the ruins (2 hours).
After your guided tour, you and your guide will part ways and if you have booked an additional hike such as Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain, you will have time for the hike as well as get to explore the site on your own. There are several places to explore that are not part of the tour such as the Inca bridge and the sun gate.
In the afternoon you will get back on the bus and head to Aguas Calientes town. You will then board the train back to Ollantaytambo, where a private van will be waiting for you to drive back to Cusco.
Note: This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, strikes, roadblocks, or other events which are beyond our control. We will always do our best to follow the itinerary as closely as possible.
Additional Trip Info
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking guide
- Transfer to and from your hotel in Cusco
- Round Trip Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes - Expedition Train
- Transportation from Cusco to Ollantaytambo train station
- Transportation from Ollantaytambo train station back to Cusco
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- 2 hour Guided Tour of the archeological site
- Free time in the afternoon to explore the ruins on your own
- Round trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Travel Insurance - We recommend World Nomads, or Global Rescue
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu mountain (optional $75)
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train+$75usd one way and $125 round trip
- Original passport
- Day Pack
- Comfortable walking shoes or trekking shoes
- Rain jacket/ poncho
- Light jacket
- Sunhat and sunglasses
- Sun cream
- Insect repellent
- Personal medications
Interested in building a custom trip? We want to help you travel to places you have dreamt about.Build a Custom Trip