Ring Road- 8 day (Self Drive)
Visit the highlights on this epic 8 day self drive around Iceland
Explore the island for 8 days and 7 nights on a classic road trip. Iceland is a unique country of natural attractions from sprawling glaciers, beautiful black beaches and historic sites to lesser known gems along the ring road. The possibilities of what to see are almost endless - stop to enjoy Gullfoss impressive waterfall, Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and the picturesque drive of the East Fjords. The self-drive tour is a great way to experience some of Earth’s best natural wonders at your leisure.
- Duration: 8 days / 7 nights
- Seasons: May - Sept
- Areas: Ring Road
- Explore the beautiful and mystical Snæfellsnes peninsula
- Walk along the beautiful black sands of Djúpalónssandur beach
- Spot seals basking on the beach at Vatnsnes peninsula
- Visit Akureyri town, the capital of the north!
- Drive through spectacular scenery and visit volcanic sites by lake Mývatn
- Marvel at the floating icebergs on Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
- View the tall mountains and friendly fishing villages of the East Fjords
- Taste delicious lobster at Höfn
- Discover the beautiful south coast of Iceland
Reykjavík is a safe, clean, and vibrant city that has great museums, historic attractions, galleries, shops, open-air geothermal swimming pools and much more – so there is something for all to enjoy! While exploring the city, a taste of delicious Icelandic cuisine can be found in a variety of exciting restaurants located all over the city. The Flybus will transfer you to your accommodation in Reykjavík from Keflavik Airport. Optional, and not included in the price, is to pick up the rental car at the airport when you arrive.
Accommodation in Reykjavík (optional and not included in tour price).
Today, explore the pearls of West Iceland, starting with Borgarfjörður, whose every single corner is tied to a surfeit of sagas and stories, adding depth and mystery to the region. Visit Reykholt, one of Iceland's most notable historical sites, housing a cultural centre dedicated to medieval studies, along with a nice quaint church and an ancient geothermally-heated pool. Let your mind wander to the magnificent contrasts of the blue waters of Hraunfossar and Barnafoss Waterfalls and surrounding snow-covered lava cliffs. End the day at Europe’s highest flowing hot spring, Deildartunguhver, which feeds the scenic Geothermal Baths and Spa Krauma nearby.
Accommodation is in Borganes or Borgarfjörður area for 1 night.
Day 2: Northwest Iceland & Akureyri
View the majestic Hvítserkur Cliff off Vatnsnes peninsula that legend claims is a petrified troll. Seals can be seen basking on the shore but the area is one of the largest seal colonies in Iceland. Tour Skagafjörður, an area known for its horse breeding so keep an eye out for the Icelandic horse, visit the old farmhouse museum at Glaumbær and the old turf Víðimýrarkirkja Church. End the day at Akureyri, a charming town that has beautiful landmarks and great restaurants.
Accommodation in Akureyri area.
Take in Goðafoss Waterfall one of the country’s most impressive waterfalls before continuing to Lake Mývatn area, one of the pearls of Icelandic nature with its unique natural environment, contrasting landscapes and where you can experience the most and the best of Iceland. End the day by taking a soothing dip in the natural wonder of Mývatn Nature Baths.
Accommodation in Mývatn lake area.
Day 4: Northeast Iceland & Egilsstaðir
Head to the northern part of Vatnajökull National Park, which includes some of the most spectacular and diverse sights in Iceland such as Ásbyrgi Canyon, Hljóðaklettar Cliffs and the stunning landscapes before driving onwards through the mystical barren landscape of Möðrudalsöræfi on your way to Egilsstaðir town.
Accommodation in Egilsstaðir area.
The drive along the Eastfjords is truly beautiful and breathtaking with dramatic mountains, narrow fjords and quaint fishing villages. Visit Djúpivogur from where you can view Papey Island a nature reserve of seabirds and eider ducks, Seyðisfjörður, surrounded by sheer mountains, or Fáskrúðsfjörður, which has a great view of a hollow cliff island, Skrúður. Continue southward to Höfn town set in stunning scenery and famous for its delicious lobster.
Accommodation in Höfn area.
Day 6: Vatnajökull National Park
Enjoy the spectacular scenery of the southeast coast. Stop at Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon, the biggest glacial lagoon of its kind, and sail between the towering icebergs on the lagoon. Continue to Skaftafell National Park, Iceland’s most popular wilderness area, and an ideal destination to enjoy outdoor activities as there are both short and easy trails that lead to Svartifoss Waterfall and Skaftafellsjökull Glacier.
Accommodation in Vík/Kirkjubæjarklaustur area.
Relish in the marvellous views of the south coast and one of the country’s most beautiful attractions including Vík village and Dyrhólaey Peninsula. Enjoy the magnificent scenery with its breathtaking view to all directions; Mýrdalsjökull Glacier to the north, Reynisdrangar rock formation to the east and the west the endless black coastline before driving onwards to view the picturesque waterfalls of Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss.
Accommodation in Gullfoss/Geysir area
Discover the inland by driving through the fertile farmlands and settings of famous sagas. Spend the day exploring the Golden Circle area which comprises of the beautiful Gullfoss Waterfall, Geysir hot spring area and Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Take time to visit Skálholt one of the most important places in Iceland throughout the Middle Ages and Kerið, a volcanic crater lake.
Accommodation in Reykjavík (optional and not included in the tour price)
- Enter one of the world's most remarkable lava caves
- Go on a thrilling glacier tour on Snæfellsjökull Glacier
- Take a dip in Mývatn Nature Baths
- See whales in their natural environment in Húsavík
- Go on a boat excursion and sail between the icebergs at Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
- Go puffin spotting on an unusual hay wagon tour of Ingólfshöfði cape
- Activity suggestions for each day in tour itinerary
Please inquire for pricing and to book these additional activities.
Additional Trip Info
- Accommodation for 7 nights, budget or comfort rooms with breakfast
- Rental car for 8 days, with unlimited mileage and CDW insurance (pick up & drop off in Reykjavik)
- Flybus transfer to and from airport
- E-Itinerary with the tour map, location points, and pictures for you to view before you arrive.
- Driver Guide tablet mapping and navigating your personalized journey and highlights of surrounding areas. Including a GPS Navigation system, recommendations along the way, helpful information, a messenger system to stay in touch with us, our Driver Guide will instantly become your best travel mate.
- 24/7 emergency phone line service
- Taxes and service fee
Interested in building a custom trip? We want to help you travel to places you have dreamt about.Build a Custom Trip