Landmannalaugar Trek- 3 Days (Huts)
Pearl of the Highlands
Embark on an exhilarating trekking adventure exploring the breathtaking landscapes of the Landmannalaugar region. Discover the wonders of Lake Frostastadavatn, the intriguingly named Ljótipollur crater (Ugly Puddle), the awe-inspiring Brennisteinsalda volcano, the scenic Sudurnamur mountain ridge, the enchanting Vondugil Canyon, and the majestic Blahnukur peak. Immerse yourself in the geothermal marvels of this area, surrounded by vibrant mountains, rhyolite hills, and billowing fumaroles. After each day of exploration, unwind in the inviting hot spring pool of Landmannalaugar.
Our three-day hiking tour caters to nature enthusiasts and hikers of all levels, offering an unforgettable experience in one of Iceland's most geothermally active regions. Landmannalaugar, a cherished destination among locals, boasts excellent hiking trails starting from the Landmannalaugar hut, our accommodation for the journey. The renowned Landmannalaugar hot spring is conveniently located near our mountain hut. Lastly, Landmannalaugar serves as the official starting point for the renowned Laugavegur Trek, recognized as one of the "20 Best Hikes in the World" by National Geographic.
- Landmannalaugar: A geothermal wonderland with vibrant mountains and rhyolite hills
- Brennisteinsalda: A majestic volcano adding to the scenic beauty of the area
- Natural Pool: Relax and rejuvenate in the inviting hot spring pool of Landmannalaugar
- Ljótipollur Crater: Explore the ill-named "Ugly Puddle" and its intriguing geological features
- Vondugil Canyon: Immerse yourself in the enchanting landscapes of this picturesque canyon
Departures every Friday (June - September)
FROSTASTADAVATN - LJOTIPOLLUR
Distance: 12km / 7.5 miles
Hiking Time: 4 hours
The tour starts by the Reykjavík tourist info at Reykjavik's City Hall (Ráðhúsið) by Tjörnin pond at 7.00 a.m. It's located in downtown Reykjavik and within walking distance from most hotels, hostels and guesthouses in central Reykjavik. After introductions, we board the bus that takes us to Landmannalaugar. We also offer pick up at selected locations around Reykjavik (see other pick up locations in tour description). From Reykjavik, we drive inland through the beautiful Thjorsardalur valley, named after the river Thjorsa, the longest river in Iceland, going onwards to Hekla Volcano. Passing extensive lava fields from previous eruptions we approach the Landmannalaugar area with its stunning peaks. After our lunch, we will set on a 10 km hike to the ill-named Ljoti pollur Lake, chosen one of the World’s Most Beautiful Crater Lakes. Ljoti pollur is an incredibly beautiful red crater filled with bright-blue water. After the hike, we will enjoy a rejuvenating bath at the natural steaming hot spring of Landamannalaugar.
Meals included: lunch, refreshments & dinner.
BRENNISTEINSALDA - VONDUGIL - SUDURNAMUR RHYOLITE MOUNTAIN
Distance: 11km / 6.8 miles
Hiking Time: 4 hours
Today we will hike up to Sudurnamur, a 200.000 years old mountain ridge of rhyolite minerals. On the way up to the Sudurnamur you will enjoy numerous ravines and colorful sights of the area; and on its top a dramatic view of the Landmannalaugar empire, Mt. Kirkjufell, Laugahraun lava, Blahnukur volcano and Brennisteinsalda, the most colorful mountain in Iceland. The day is completely filled with stunning scenes of the Icelandic highlands. In the evening we will have the final chance (at least for now) to soak in the hot springs.
Meals included: breakfast, lunch, refreshments & dinner.
Distance: 7km / 6.8 miles
Hiking Time: 3.5 hours
After our breakfast buffet, we will continue on a 3.5-hour adventure going up to Blahnukur, a 60.000 years old volcano, known for its bluish shades and vast body. The hiking trail leads up to the top of the mountain from which, in good conditions, you will get a fantastic view of multiple glaciers. Blahnukur is one of the best places to do some panoramic Landmannalaugar landscape photography. On the top of the mountain, you will get a chance to really appreciate the powerful effect of the geo-dynamic activity on the landscape and your guide will be sure to explain all the wonders of the area. After coming down we will take a small break before we boarding a bus back to Reykjavik. We will arrive at the city center around 21:00 o’clock.
Meals included: breakfast & lunch.
Meeting points and times in Reykjavik:
7:00 a.m. - Tourist Information Center at Reykjavik's City Hall (Ráðhúsið) on Vonarstræti
7:00 a.m. - Sólfarið (Sun Voyager) on Sæbraut
7:15 a.m. - Hallgrímskirkja Church
7:30 a.m. - Reykjavik Campsite
Meeting points outside of Reykjavik:
8:35 a.m. - Selfoss N1 gas station
9:15 a.m. - Hella Bus Terminal
*Note that it can take up to 30 minutes before the bus departs the given locations.
Outside of Reykjavik, we offer these pick-up places en-route to Landmannalaugar:
8:35 from Hveragerdi * N1 gas station
8:50 from Selfoss N1 gas station
9:30 from Hella- Bus Terminal
*Stop only if passengers have requested prior.
Additional Trip Info
- Convenient Pick-up & Drop-off from Reykjavík
- Comfortable Accommodation
- Inclusive All Meals
- Knowledgeable English Speaking Licensed Adventure Guide
- Provided Safety Equipment for Your Adventure
- Enjoy Free WiFi on Board Your Bus
- Hiking boots, good sturdy boots with sufficient ankle support for walking on rough trails. They should have a robust sole and preferably waterproof
- Warm jacket, fleece, primaloft or similar
- Rain jacket with a hood, preferable breathable fabric such as Gore tex or similar
- Rain trousers, preferable breathable fabric such as Gore tex or similar
- Gloves, wool or synthetic, preferable waterproof
- Hiking socks
- Warm hat and/or balaclava
- Backpack for daily use
- Sleeping bag and travel pillow. A light sleeping with no specific temperature rating will be sufficient
- Liner if you rent the sleeping bag
- Bathing suit and towel
- Tooth brush and personal toiletries
- Sunglasses/sunscreen (high protection, the sun in Iceland can be really strong)
- Water bottle
- Small personal first aid kit (compeed and tape for blisters)
- Pain killers such as aspirin or ibuprofen
- DONT FORGET TO BRING EXTRAS OF IMPORTANT HEALTH SUPPLIES OR SPECIAL PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE IN CASE YOU NEED ANY
- Hiking poles
- Camera, batteries, memory card
- Headlamp for trips in late season, after august 10th.
- Earplugs/Sleep mask
- Power bank / portable charging device
Interested in building a custom trip? We want to help you travel to places you have dreamt about.Build a Custom Trip