Dana to Petra Adventure - 9 Days
Hike along the Jordan Trail, while visiting historic, cultural and natural wonders
Join our small group on the Dana to Petra trek, rated as one of the world’s 15 best hikes by National Geographic! Experience the magic of Jordan on foot, water, and under the stars with our incredibly knowledgable guides. This is truly the adventure of a lifetime that will leave you wanting more!
- 5-day trek from Dana Nature Reserve to the ancient city of Petra
- Enter Petra via the back route past the Monastery
- Enjoy the hospitality of our Bedouin guides
Upon arrival at Queen Alia International Airport in Amman, you will be met and assisted through immigration. After, you will be transferred to your hotel in Amman, the Capital city of Jordan.
Amman is one of the oldest cities in the world, inhabited since the bronze age. The city is growing into a modern city, but retains its character and history.
Overnight at a hotel in Amman.
Day 2- Amman - Hike from Dana Village to Feynan/Wadi Ghuweir Area
After Breakfast, we will be met, and picked up at our hotel in Amman at 7:00 am. We will hop in our van, and drive about 2.5 hours to Wadi Dana, where we will start our hike west, into the Dana Valley with our local, and knowledgeable guides.
The trail drops steeply at first and then levels into a more gradual descent through the Dana Biosphere Reserve towards the Wadi Ghuweir. The reserve, Jordan’s largest, includes four distinct bio-geographical zones, which means that Dana supports an astonishing diversity of birds, plants, and animals.
Day 3-Hike from Wadi Ghuweir to Furon
Today we bid farewell to Wadi Ghuweir, and begin our hike to Furon.
As we pass the entrance of Wadi Ghuweir, take a peek behind you and take in the incredible views as we ascend into the mountains. A challenging, steep first section of hiking indeed, but worth every bead of sweat. Today sweeping views of mountains, valleys and the Wadi Araba Desert assist us on our hike.
The afternoon brings us to our campsite, already set up, at Furon.
Overnight wilderness camping in Furon.
Day 4-Hike from Furon to Ghbour Whedat
Today, we will start hiking from Furon, past Ras Al-Feid towards Ghbour Whedat. Witnessing astonishing views into the some of the most remote and wildest corners of Jordan.
Contouring the Sharah Mountains, we will follow a trail of mostly clear Bedouin shepherd paths. The sheer peeks of black mountains overlooking our trail, and steep precipitous drops of the canyons below make this day of hiking an absolutely stunning display of nature.
After experiencing more spectacular views, our hike leads us to our next wilderness campsite in Ghbour Whedat.
Overnight wilderness camping in Ghbour Whedat.
Day 5- Hike from Ghbour Whedat to Little Petra
Today will see the group approaching Little Petra, and increasing signs of human activity are welcome after yesterday’s remote day of pristine wilderness. Among signs of inhabitation are agricultural plots, Bedouin camps, and sheep pens.In the region between Ghbour Whedat and Little Petra we will also pass Nabatean ruins, some of which may include wine and olive presses, aqueducts and other ancient water infrastructures.
Believed by archeologists to be a “suburb” of Petra, Little Petra was believed to be meant for traveling traders along the silk road connecting Africa to Asia, Europe and Arabia. We have the pleasure of touring Little Petra, taking in the carved rock facades, houses and other ancient buildings in the sandstone canyon.
Overnight at a Bedouin Camp in Little Petra.
Day 6- Hike from Little Petra to Petra
Today we will begin our hike after a hearty breakfast at camp. And, we will enter Petra via ‘The Back Door’, avoiding most of the tourists.
Well maintained trails wind pleasantly down Wadi Ghurab amidst sandstone mountains guarding the approaches to Petra. This way follows a Nabataean route out of the valley and skirts around the final mountain on a natural rock terrace which has been ‘improved’ for the safety of walkers. Even so, it still narrows slightly before reaching a hidden plateau high above the impressive chasm of Wadi Siyyagh.
Just beyond, carved into the cliff face, ‘The Monastery’ suddenly comes into view, where there is a Bedouin café for refreshments if you would like.
Nabataean steps then lead down into ancient Petra. Your route then takes you through Wadi Muthlim (weather dependent) to Wadi Musa and your hotel accommodation in Petra.
Overnight in a hotel in Petra.
Day 7- Exploring Petra - Wadi Rum Jeep Tour
Early this morning, we will be treated with a visit to the Nabtrean Red Rose city of Petra, one of the 7 wonders of the world! We will enter through the “Siq”, an experience not shared by many people in the world. This entrance is preceded by a long narrow gorge, flanked on each side by 80m high cliffs. This world heritage site is massive, and contains Roman-style theaters, a treasury, temples, sacrificial altars and hundreds of elaborate tombs.
After our fascinating tour of Petra, we will be transferred to Wadi Rum where we will enjoy a 4x4 jeep tour.The jeep tour will allow you to travel around Wadi Rum’s valleys, canyons, dunes and deserts, discover rock inscriptions, majestic views of mountains and landscapes and narrow gorges. Return back to your camp, enjoy the hospitality of the Bedouins.
Overnight at a Bedouin camp in Wadi Rum.
Day 8-Wadi Rum - Dead Sea Visit
After another breakfast enjoyed, we will head to the lowest point on earth, the Dead Sea. Take this time to enjoy a once in a lifetime experience, floating in the Dead Sea.
After a day of floating in the Sea, which has an extremely high salt content it is almost impossible to swim, we will enjoy some of the “magical” Dead Sea mud, and then make our way back to the capital city.
Overnight at a hotel in Amman.
Today we bid farewell, as all good things must unfortunately come to an end.
For all of those flying out on this day, we will offer transportation from the hotel to Queen Alia International Airport for departures. Generally, we suggest leaving Amman for airport 4 hours prior to your flight or earlier.
Additional Trip Info
- Meet and assist at Amman Airport.
- Airport pick-up and drop-off.
- All Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and snacks from breakfast on day 2 to breakfast on day 9.
- Entrance fees to all of the sites in the trip plan.
- Transportation as per itinerary in a private vehicle.
- Free collective visa to Jordan (full passport details must be received 14 days before arrival) for non restricted nationalities.
- English-speaking, licensed guide on all days except for on arrival and departure (days 1 and 9).
- Local hiking guide with a donkey for safety measures on days 2-4.
- Lunch box and water on hiking days.
- Mattress and blankets provided for the nights in the wilderness. (Note: due to hygiene reasons we don’t provide sleeping bags).
- Luggage transfer.
- 2 night hotel accommodation in Amman.
- 3 nights camping in the wilderness.
- 1 night at a Bedouin camp in Beihdah (Little Petra).
- 1 night hotel accommodation in Wadi Musa (Petra).
- 1 night at a Bedouin camp in Wadi Rum.
- Hotel accommodations in twin or double rooms, depending on your preference.
- (Single supplement of $200/person applies if you want a private room for 1 person)
- Camping accommodation in single or 2-person tents depending on your preference. (Same price)
- Tips for service providers (drivers, guides, camping/ hotel staff, etc.).
- Travel insurance.
- Any extra services not mentioned in our offer.
- Personal expenses.
- Exit tax from Jordan (10 JD / $15 pp at land borders). Airport tax is usually included on air-tickets. Taxes subject to change with no notice.
- Hiking gear.
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions.
Interested in building a custom trip? We want to help you travel to places you have dreamt about.Build a Custom Trip