How to spend 5 days in the Galapagos:
Planning a trip to the Galapagos can be a daunting task, there are so many different islands, trips, boats, land tours, itineraries….etc to consider. As a first time visitors to the islands we had all the same questions and struggles with planning the perfect trip. But after spending 5 days on a 16 person Catamaran we are convinced that this is the best way to travel and see the Islands!
On the 5 day tour we snorkeled and hiked at least twice a day, saw a lot of fantastic landscapes and wildlife and overall felt that the 5 days were plenty of time to “see and do” the Galapagos without feeling as though we left something out.
Highlights- What you can expect to see on this trip
- Snorkel with Sea lions, turtles, manta rays, sharks, iguanas... and much more!
- See many unique bird species: frigate birds, swallow tailed gull, mockingbirds, finches, yellow warbler, blue-footed boobies, red-billed tropicbird,brown pelican, blue-footed boobies, red-footed boobies, land doves, nazca booby, short-eared owl and much more.
- Animals: Giant Land Tortoises, Fur seals, hawks, land iguanas, sally lightfoot crab, marine iguanas, land iguanas, marine turtles, spotted eagle rays, sea lions.
- Amazing landscapes and beaches
- Visit 7 Islands
Our 5 Day Itinerary
DAY 1: SAN CRISTOBAL ISLAND: LOBOS ISLAND
- San Cristobal Airport
- Reception at airport
- Welcome on board EcoGalaxy Cruise. Welcome drink and lunch.
LOBOS ISLAND: Lobos Island is located approximately twenty minutes from Puerto Baquerizo.
Activities: Short walk, swimming, snorkeling, panga riding.
Animals: Fur Seals, frigate bird, marine iguanas, lava lizards, snake-biserialis, marine turtles, frigate bird, brown pelican, blue-footed boobies, sea lions.
DAY 2: SANTA FE ISLAND & SOUTH PLAZAS ISLAND
SANTA FE ISLAND
Activities: Hiking, snorkeling, panga ride, kayak, swimming
Animals. Fur seals, hawks, land iguanas, sally lightfoot crab, herons, marine iguanas, cuchiuves, land doves, marine turtles, spotted eagle rays, sea lions, finches ,blue-footed boobies.
SOUTH PLAZAS ISLAND Two small islands, created by an uplifting of the land.
Animals: Land iguanas, sea lions, brown noddy, Lava Gull, frigate bird, red-billed tropicbird, swallow tailed gull, fur seals, sally light foot crab.
DAY 3: NORTH SEYMOUR ISLAND – MOSQUERA ISLET
NORTH SEYMOUR ISLAND: Seymour was formed by the lifting of volcanic marine lava.
Activities: Hiking, Snorkeling
Animals: Land iguanas, frigate bird, swallow tailed gull, marine iguanas, sea lions, mockingbird, finches, yellow warbler, blue-footed boobies, frigate bird, red-billed tropicbird.
MOSQUERA ISLET This islet is located between Baltra Island and North Seymour.
Activities: Hiking, Snorkeling
Animals: Sea lions, lava gull, sally lightfoot crab.
DAY 4: GENOVESA ISLAND: DARWIN BAY & BARRANCO
DARWIN BAY: Wet landing, coral beach.
Activities: Walking, swimming and snorkeling, kayaking
Animals: Frigates, marine iguanas, red-footed boobies and mask boobies, the great terrestrial finch, seagulls, herons, and cactus finch.
Activities: Hiking, kayaking
Animals: Petrels, frigate bird, red-footed boobies, land doves, finches, nazca booby, red-billed tropicbird, fur seals, short-eared owl.
DAY 5: SANTA CRUZ – HIGHLANDS
Animals. Giant tortoises, land iguanas.
SMALL BOAT vs LARGE BOAT
The smaller boats that travel the islands offer up many conveniences that the larger boats just cant. See our list of pros & cons below.
- High quality personal experience
- Develop true relationships with guides & Staff
- Less environmental impact
- More time exploring and visiting the sites
- Much nicer to explore island with a small group
- Allows for flexibility in activities and sites
- A smaller boat has less stability in rough waters
- Less amenities on board
- More spacious and comfortable
- More amenities on board
- To many people, large groups
- Little contact with staff and guides
- Fixed to the schedule of the boat, no flexibility
- Shorter time to do activities
- Not able to disembark on some islands
- Generally more expensive