Lençóis Maranhenses Trekking the dunes, lagoons & desert trails - 6 Days
Explore the scenic highlights of Lençóis Maranhenses National Park
Explore the scenic highlights of Lençóis Maranhenses National Park on this 6 day adventure.
Quite unique among the many tours which dissect the Lençóis Maranhenses National Park, this trip will have you not only exploring some of the most irresistible and scenic highlights of Lençóis on foot but will also include an overnight stop in the heart of the park itself, a rare treat indeed. Covering 20 serene kilometers over three blissful days of walking, we will immerse ourselves deeply into both the natural and cultural wonders of this impossibly pristine landscape, taking the time to enjoy the company of its communities while staying in private homes along the way. Throughout, all physical effort will be more than rewarded with numerous opportunities to indulge in the crystalline waters and turquoise lagoons which this National Park is famed for, the perfect antidote for any weary legs!
LOW: February to May & September to November
HIGH: January & June to August & December
DAY 1: Origin – São Luís de Maranhão
Airport arrival at São Luis de Maranhão, the capital of the state of Maranhão, and transfer to the pousada. Then we make a tour in the historic downtown, declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site for its magnificent colonial architecture.
DAY 2: São Luís de Maranhão & Lençóis Maranhenses Park
São Luís de Maranhão – Barreirinhas – Lençóis Maranhenses Park (B, L, D)
Morning departure to Barreirinhas, with a stop for breakfast, where a four-wheel vehicle will take us to the entrance of the Lençóis Maranhenses National Park.
Lunch time (lunch included). We continue on 4WD up to the starting point of the trek. We walk for 3h (approx. 9km) through a landscape of dunes and clear blue lagoons. While swimming in one of the crystalline pools, we are able to contemplate the sunset over the dunes. At night, we set up tents, and have dinner (box dinner included) on the slopes of the dunes. Overnight stay in tents.
DAY 3: Lençóis Maranhenses – Baixa Grande
Lençóis Maranhenses – Baixa Grande (B, L, D)
In the morning, we can watch the sunrise from the dunes. After breakfast (box breakfast included), we continue trekking through the park for 3h30 (approx 9km), taking time to swim. Arrival to one of the towns within the park, Baixa Grande, where lunch is served (lunch included), and everybody enjoys the afternoon getting to know the community and sharing with them. Dinner time (dinner included). We spend the night in hammocks in the house of a fisherman.
DAY 4: Baixa Grande – Atins
Baixa Grande – Atins (B)
After breakfast (included), we trek for 3h30 (approx 6km) over the dunes to Negro River. Once at the beach, a four-wheel vehicle is waiting to take us to the small fishing town of Atins.
In the afternoon, we have free time to relax on its beaches.
DAY 5: Atins – Barreirinhas
Atins – Barreirinhas (B)
In the afternoon, we embark on a speedboat to Preguiças River towards the entrance of the National Park, Barreirinhas. Accommodation.
DAY 6: Barreirinhas – São Luís de Maranhão
Barreirinhas – São Luís de Maranhão – Destination (B)
Transfer from Barreirinhas to the airport of São Luis de Maranhão for departure to the next destination.
Best travel period?
- This travel can be made throughout the year. Between January and April the weather is unstable, from May to September is the period when lagoons are fuller, and from October to December is the dry season when it's windier and there is less tourism.
- The period of June and July are the celebrations of Sao João in the region, there is less accommodation availability, but there are many folk festivals on weekends.
Hiking Level of Difficulty:
- This trekking is usually flat and easy. It also includes some trekking across dunes where it becomes harder of moderate difficulty. The trek as whole is around 24km during 3 days. There are a lot of stops along the way for having a bath at the lagoons. It is important to be well protected from the sun and the wind.
Banks and money exchange: The exchange and/or cash withdrawal at ATMs is preferably done at airports for security and because most Aniyami Experiences take place in locations with little banking structure.
Comments & Restrictions:
- The tour - São Luís Historic City Tour - 4h Not recommended on Mondays because museums, churches, theater and palace are closed.
- * Mules - one for every 4 people - are to carry the equipment and items that are included in the trekking such as: tents, boxes of food (food, juice, fruit), water (3 liters per day and per person). In case the traveler is tired of carrying it for a certain period, the mule can carry a backpack with a limit of 5kg per person (maximum of 4 backpacks - 20 kg of luggage) in addition to those equipment and items already mentioned. In no case will the mule be responsible for carrying completely the travelers' backpacks. For this you will have to contract additional cargo service.
Additional Trip Info
Accommodation: 5 night standard accommodation with breakfast
- Transfers and Tours with guide (ENG, SPA, GER unless otherwise stated below):
- São Luís de Maranhão Historic City Tour
- Private expedition through Lençóis Maranhenses for 4 days with trekking activities.
- 4WD to the Park Lençois Maranhenses + SIB speedboat on River Preguiças from Atins to Barreirinhas.
- General trekking equipment such as tents, food, water (3 liters per person per day), which will be carried by mules during the tour. * See comments and restrictions.
- 24h telephone and WhatsApp emergency support in Spanish and English
- Air transport and airport taxes
- Optional Excursions
- Meals not specified in the section “Included”
- Drinks, tips and personal extras
- Anything not mentioned as included
- Travel Insurance - We recommend World Nomads, or Global Rescue
- Short and long pants, swimsuit or bikini.
- Insect repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses and a flashlight.
- If travelers use contact lenses, we suggest they bring glasses for dune rides because wind can cause discomfort.
- A bottle to drink water, avoiding the use of disposable containers. They will be able to refill in airports and hotels during the trip.
- Although this trekking can be done barefoot (watch out for blisters!), we recommend waterproof trekking sandals as we will be crossing some rivers along the way.
- A 10-15kg backpack is recommended for trekking, leaving the rest of the luggage at São Luis de Maranhão. Having a raincoat with the possibility of putting the bag inside is preferable.
Interested in building a custom trip? We want to help you travel to places you have dreamt about.Build a Custom Trip